Essential oils can protect babies and children from colds as well as relieve symptoms.
* Peppermint and Eucalyptus - blend the appropriate number of drops of either in a base of Almond oil and massage into the chest and back. To benefit from the vapours, add the essences to the bath and use in a vaporizer in your child's bedroom overnight.
* For babies under 6 months: Eucalyptus only. Try adding 3 drops of essence to a small bowl of boiling water and place under baby's cot at night.
* For children over 5: Black Pepper or Rosemary can also be used.
* Steam inhalation helps to relieve congestion in the nose and chest. Add 2 drops of essence to a basin of steaming hot water; cover your child's head with a towel and encourage slow, deep breathing. Always supervise steam inhalations.
* You can to some extent protect babies and children from catching someone else's cold by making a solution using 2 drops Peppermint and 2 drops Eucalyptus in 1/2 pint (300 ml) of water. Spray this around the house.